Sunday, June 26, 2011

To travel: yes or no?

What do you do when you have no idea what step to take next?

And on that note, how am I supposed to know what the next step to take? It's not like life came with a guidebook...wouldn't that make life easier though?

Just imagine it: here is an outline of how you should TRY to live your life, what age to try drugs for the first time, have sex for the first time, drink alcohol, drive, etc.

Man, wouldn't that take all the fun out of life!!!

However, sometimes that is how life can feel. You know the feeling: you've graduated from University (first, second or third time doesn't matter), and now it is just 'normal' to start in your career, settle down with the love of your life, buy a house and a car, and start a family.

Why is this the norm?

Not that I have anything against. Au contraire, I would like this life one day. But I'm not rushing myself, and I'm certainly not going to put that kind of pressure on myself.

Because I might end with something I don't really want.

Shouldn't we pursue our passions, be it music, travel, dancing, writing, whatever. Shouldn't we be celebrated because we are happy in our lives with what we are doing and how we are living.

I often feel like I am judged - maybe judged is the wrong word - pitied, felt sorry for when people hear my educational background and yet I am working at a coffee shop making minimum wage. Maybe I like it. Maybe I'm not ready yet to jump into the real world, or maybe, just maybe, I am not ready to settle for a job that will simply pay the bills but won't make me happy.

Or maybe it's all of the above. Tough spot to be in right?

Unfortunately, I am finding it is a common spot for a lot of people my age. There are some of us mid-20's who are happily married with kids and a career. There are others who have started in their career and are now looking to find someone to settle down with. And then there are those of us, who are stuck in the middle: want to find our careers, want to settle down, but still want to have that carefree travel lifestyle.

It's almost like we think that having a career/family will keep us from travelling. And maybe, this is partly true. It is a lot harder to travel when you have responsibilities waiting for you when you come back.

I think that is the hardest part of travelling: coming back to reality.

I am never a fan of coming home, but who is? Back to the bills, the drama of work, the mundaness of a scheduled life.

But it is how it is; at least in this country. I remember living in Mexico City and people were so open and carefree. Yes, they worked hard but they played harder. They made all the hard work worth it by making any night of the week a special week, or just getting out of town for the weekend. Maybe some of them don't have fancy cars, or homes, or material items, but they can say they are living a full life.

I can honestly say my one year in Mexico was the most I have ever lived. A full emotional, cultural and social experience. If you've ever lived abroad, you'll understand that.

There is something to be said for breaking the mold, not settling down in your hometown and taking the stable 9-5 job. There is something to be said for draining your savings, jumping on a plane and seeing what your next adventure holds. That takes guts. And it takes strength.

Now I am wondering, do I have the guts, the strength and the patience to go through it all again. My heart says yes, my head says no.

Man I hate when reality rears it's ugly head.

- xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment