Saturday, October 31, 2009

In our memories...and our hearts

This is one blog that I can't help but write, even though it's tragic in nature. We always see the photos of our fallen soldiers and read their stories, but I don't think the tragedy really hits home until it is someone you love. Yesterday, I lost a very close friend in Afghanistan, after he stepped on a landmine while securing an area for the local population. This sad news came after his deployment less than a week ago from Edmonton, AB.

Steve Marshall was a funny, charismatic and amazing man. His smile never failed to make people laugh, and his humor always lightened any mood or situation. He was one of those brave guys who thought the Canadian Army was his calling, and he was right. He was the happiest I 'd ever seen him when he was talking about his job and his life in the Army. Steve did his country an amazing service and deserves all the honor and celebration that comes with that, but for him, Mr.Humble, he was just like any other man who was completely happy in his life and career. The army helped Steve become the amazing man I always knew he was.

Steve has meant more to me than words can express. Not only had he been a boyfriend but he was a best friend. A person I could text in the middle of the night about anything and everything. There was no limit to what we would talk about. I have no siblings, but have always felt that Steve and I were like that. But it was also more than that. I love Steve more than I ever thought I could love someone. I cry for him and feel my heart breaking, and it helps me realize the enormous effect he had on who I am today. The tears and emotions we are all feeling only prove how many lives he touched; his Facebook page is a direct example of this. A close friend of mine told me, "the safest place he can be is in our hearts" and I think that statement says it all. I never let go of those people I care about most. They will always be apart of me. I will keep his memory and love with me always.

Steve Marshall will always been in our memories and that will keep him alive in our hearts.

Always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment