So you know those couples that sit right next to each other and are always touching one another? You know how annoying they can be and how they seem like they're flaunting their 'coupledom' in front of you? I've been there. I've actually been there most of my life. I have been the person who says "Omg, get a room" or "Holy PDA alert".
However, now I am on the other side of the table. I am in one of those couples. Only I don't see myself as over the top - PDA wise. But that's thing - since I'm in the couple, I'm happy and just expressing my affection. To others though, thsoe not in a couple, maybe I am being appropriate.
As with many situation in life, there are two sides. Do single people think couples always show too much PDA simply b/c they are not the ones in a couple? Do they feel like somehow the couple is showing off and flaunting the fact they found someone to be in a 'couple' with? Maybe they do. I know I have at some points in my life. But looking at back on those times, specifically, I now realize that is was merely jealousy on my part, b/c I wanted to be in a couple SO BADLY. Like I said, I have been single longer than I have been in relationships, so I obviously understand the single side of this situation.
However, now that I'm sitting on the other side, I can honestly say that I like to publicly display my affections towards my boyfriend b/c that's how I feel. I want to constantly show him I care about him or that I like spending time with him. If this means that I am holding his hand, we kiss ocassionally or maybe we have our hands on one other while out with friends, please forgive us. Should couples have to minimize their affections towards one another so as not to accidentally offend anyone? Or do couples have just as much right to hug, kiss and enjoy our boyfriend/girlfriend as everyone has to hug, kiss, and enjoy their friends? Because really in the end, a couple is simply a friendship that has blossomed to a deeper, more intimate relationship, and I think it should be celebrated.
Let me just reiterate that yes, at one time I was one of those people that got irritated and annoyed by couples, even couples who simply held hands, but this was only b/c I was craving that kind of relationship so badly that my jealousy got the best of me. However, in the last couple of years I have grown up and realized that all good things do come to those who wait and that instead of getting irritated, cynical and bitter towards other peoples good fortune, I should simply remain positive and optimistic.
Oh what?! Did I really just say that?? Yes, yes I did. :-)
However, I will agree that some PDA is WAY TOO much. Examples: making out on a bus, essentially "going at it" on a park bench, groping or fondling in public (except for clubs b/c really there's no stopping it), or talking "dirty" loudly around strangers. I have never, and will never, do these things, b/c I have respect for my fellow Calgarians and no one needs to see me play tonsil hockey with a guy - and you know what? I don't want anyone to see it. It's private. It should stay private.
On a side note,I have some amazing friends, some of whom have spent most our friendship in a couple. I have gone through countless breakups, emotional situations and happy celebrations with my coupled up friends to have recieved an invaluable education. A single person is just as special, loved and important as someone who is in a couple (I say "couple" and not "relationship" b/c a friendship is also a relationship). My friends have supported me through my bitter and cynical stage, my optimistic and positive stage, and of course the "I hate boys" stage. But, if I am being honest to myself, I have always hoped and believed that I would find someone who would put up with my BS, my little quirks and annoyances and actually want to spend a lot of time with me. And my friends are the reason I have always believed in this. So I thank them. :-)
There will always be disagreement about how much is too much PDA, but we must always look at the situation from both points of view. You never know: maybe a couple had a huge fight and one of them is trying to make it up to their partner by being more affectionate. There is two sides to every situation and sometimes where you stand is "the greener side of the pasture".
-xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment